Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Butterfly Garden


I have a small butterfly garden in front of our home. I have attached a few shots that exhibit Milkweed with Monarch Butterfly Caterpillars eating them before they cocoon. A few weeks after this shot was taken, we came home to over 30 Butterflies on our patio, drying their wings, to take their first flight! This was an awesome sight. Currently, our plants attract Monarch, Queen, and Viceroy Butterflies. Milkweed is an easily grown plant that attracts Butterflies to lay their eggs on so that the Caterpillars will feed on the plant before morphing into a cocoon. These plants grow back fast after being stripped of their foliage.

For those of you who are wondering why I posted this blog, its because I am probably the only house in this neighborhood that has an animal friendly environment!





4 comments:

Julie said...

I have a ton of porterweed, but need to get more milkweed...they ate it all up!!! Your garden looks good...nice caterpillar pics!!!

Joe said...

I need more milkweed too. Ours is dieing off.

If the caterpillars are munching them down, the plants are doing their job! They usually grow back pretty fast.

Our garden is small; hence we live in a town house! I am making the most of our space!

SAS said...

It is nice to see someone who appreciates caterpillars and butterflies so much!! Very interesting.

Joe said...

I love to see critters around our house...a butterfly garden is an easy way to attract nature.

Powered By Blogger