Saturday, October 3, 2009

Schlepping through the preserves 10/03/2009

We are visiting the Florida Keys for a few days for a much needed break. We are staying with our dear friends, Liz & Scott. I took a quick 8 mile ride late this AM through some of the preserve areas in Big Pine Key. It has been raining lately, so most of the paths were either covered by water, were very muddy or both. This added another layer of an adventure over the already bumpy natural limestone covered paths that have their own custom made potholes and other imperfections. I quickly ran out-of-breath because I have not biked for a few months. Additionally, I recently recovered from a cold that I had for several weeks that took a lot out of me. The mud cover paths added to the "burn" of the ride; however, I always remember the train of thought: no pain - no gain!. I am happy that the mosquito's, no see-ems' and other flying critters are not out in full force from the rains and the standing fresh water.
Dead- end!


Kingfisher



Natural limestone, mud, and fallen branch covered path
The famous very low hanging branch
You never know what you will stumble upon on the paths of the preserve






No comments:

Powered By Blogger